February 10, 2013
Another felted piece, “Tranquil Flora” is my latest Twilt. I’ve been working on the embroidery and beading for a while. Strips of various silks, a little rayon ,cotton organdy and wool yarn with just a touch of metallic mesh were felted onto a piece of white felt with my felting machine. I then added two painted lace motifs with a ribbon and some trim. Silk Ribbon embroidered flowers with additional embroidery and feather stitch in pearl cotton and silk were used to fill in. I finished it off with lots of beads.
Click on the image to go to Flickr.
January 18, 2013
My latest Twilt is another felted project, “A Bird in the Hand…”. I am thoroughly enjoying my felting machine. I felted several different colors of scrunch painted silk into a felt background, added felt branches and curly green roving for leaves. This was my first bird and it wasn’t easy. After I mushed it a bit I decided to add embroidery and managed to save the poor little bird. I added some pearl cotton embroidery to the branches and some silk ribbon flowers. The piece is mounted with embroidery stitches to a strip quilted batik base. I am pleased with the results but I think I need some practice making birds.
December 4, 2012
A digital collage was scanned and printed on cotton and then felted onto flannel. Pink and Green dyed silk organza was felted around the picture.
Background embroidery and beads on the felted piece became the background for Spider Web Rose and French Knot Rose clusters of Silk Ribbon Embroidery. Dyed rayon pieces and verigated organza ribbon and embroidery were added on the sides. The felted piece was then stitched with beads and embroidery to a quilted crinkled batik background. As a final touch I added the heart buttons. An old clock face, two gears and a vintage button cluster compliment the clocks in the fabric print of the digital collage. I really am enjoying my Felting Machine.
December 2, 2012
I have been experimenting with machine felting and this is my first piece. I felted dyed silk strips, metallic silk, netting and wool roving onto a white felted wool base. Embroidery, silk ribbon and trim were added. This piece is only 9″ x 4 1/2″. The machine I am using for the felting is the Simplicity with 12 needles. It’s alot of fun.
Click on the image to see it on Flickr.
October 13, 2012
I have been working on the Vintage Envelope Needle Case project for a while and wrapped it up a couple of weeks ago. In my Vintage Art collecting I have found a number of very cool Vintage Envelopes. I scan them into my computer, clean them up, add some digital art if they are plain, add a background and then print them on cotton. When they are out flat they fill approximately half of a regular sheet of paper. They are sandwiched with fusible batting and a back and stitched around the edges.
Embroidery, buttons, silk ribbon and all sorts of embellishments can be added. Add flannel or wool pages for the needles and you are ready to go.
This is one of my favorites. It’s a happy New Year card from Argentina, from one family to another wishing them Happy New Year in 1900.
I have created sixteen different Vintage Envelopes. Each Vintage Envelope design is printed on cotton and includes a pattern with instructions on how to assemble the needle case. You add your own embellishments. The price is $9.50 each plus postage. Email me if you are interested in purchasing one or more. They make great gifts.
Click on images to see them in high resolution.
August 2, 2012
This collage isn’t perfect but I like what I came up with. I digitally layered vintage documents, a post card and some envelopes inside an old book cover. When I finished all that I added the embroidered piece and the key. The flowers on the linen Twiltlet are folded on an Octogon paper base and then gathered. My silk ribbon students learned how to do them a couple of weeks ago.
I also added the French Knot Roses I love so much. Click on either image to see the high resolution version.
July 31, 2012
“Summer in Bloom” is my newest Twilt. It includes tiny little pieces that I call Twiltlets. They are a great format for experimentation with bits of this and that. These four include, just to name a few things, trims, buttons, a picture on fabric, the corner of an old hankerchief, a heart paperclip and silk ribbon embroidery. When I mounted the Twiltlets on the quilted linen print I added gathered flowers and a vintage lace that looked like a little fence. So, I added a rose bush with French Knot Roses.
December 20, 2011
October 18, 2011
I just finished this piece for my fall themed silk ribbon class at Georgia’s Shop, Georgias Quilting Obsession, so I thought I would share it.
The “Bergamot and Wheat” is embroidered in silk ribbon and pearl cotton. The base is crinkled batik fabric with two shades of King Tut varigated quilting thread and one of the Rainbow added for texture. Both threads are from Superior Thread. I painted the trim with Tsukineko inks to match the ribbon. Enjoy!
August 9, 2011
Rose blocks created in a Log Cabin style and a Bouquet of Dye painted rayon lace with embroidered sprays using Brazillian embroidery thread, pearl cotton, silk ribbon. french knots and beads make up this weeks Twilt, “Log Cabin Roses”. Embroidery and beads have been added to the Log Cabin Roses and three Mother of Pearl flower buttons were added as an accent. I think the fabrics used are very 80′s ish but I’m not sure. Enjoy!