January 18, 2013
My latest Twilt is another felted project, “A Bird in the Hand…”. I am thoroughly enjoying my felting machine. I felted several different colors of scrunch painted silk into a felt background, added felt branches and curly green roving for leaves. This was my first bird and it wasn’t easy. After I mushed it a bit I decided to add embroidery and managed to save the poor little bird. I added some pearl cotton embroidery to the branches and some silk ribbon flowers. The piece is mounted with embroidery stitches to a strip quilted batik base. I am pleased with the results but I think I need some practice making birds.
January 6, 2013
Woo Hoo!! I just finished this quilt on consignment. I think it looks pretty nice. I used my pattern, Layers of Lavender. It’s a variation of the traditional Cathedral Window in that it is stitched with a diagonal grid and where there would be a singe curve there are two curves. That forms a chain design between the windows. It took 100 hours to make and will be sent off to it’s new owner next week.
July 31, 2012
“Summer in Bloom” is my newest Twilt. It includes tiny little pieces that I call Twiltlets. They are a great format for experimentation with bits of this and that. These four include, just to name a few things, trims, buttons, a picture on fabric, the corner of an old hankerchief, a heart paperclip and silk ribbon embroidery. When I mounted the Twiltlets on the quilted linen print I added gathered flowers and a vintage lace that looked like a little fence. So, I added a rose bush with French Knot Roses.
August 9, 2011
Rose blocks created in a Log Cabin style and a Bouquet of Dye painted rayon lace with embroidered sprays using Brazillian embroidery thread, pearl cotton, silk ribbon. french knots and beads make up this weeks Twilt, “Log Cabin Roses”. Embroidery and beads have been added to the Log Cabin Roses and three Mother of Pearl flower buttons were added as an accent. I think the fabrics used are very 80′s ish but I’m not sure. Enjoy!
June 21, 2011
This Tuesday I finished up “A Blue Moon”. This Twilt features a tin ornament of a Blue Moon in the center. I got it from a good friend, Kathi, years ago. Blue Moons are a personal totem of mine. Years ago when I decided that I would follow an artistic path I woke in the middle of the night to see a full moon hanging over the ocean. Later I discovered that it was the second full moon that month, a blue moon. It was after that sign that I got serious about designing.
Now, before anyone points it out, I know, the moon in my Twilt isn’t a Full Moon. But, it is blue. The rest of the twilt is pieced with some star printed batiks, quilted with metallic stars and I added some star sequins.
A Big Thank you to everyone who sent congrats to me for Asilomar. I just want to say how much I appreciate the gals at Empty Spools Seminars giving me this opportunity!
September 21, 2010
“Wild Roses”, this Tuesday’s Twilt, combines the technique I developed ten years ago, Cathedral Windows by Machine with a technique I love and had missed, Silk Ribbon mbroidery. The borders of this Twilt have three-dimensional triangles with their bias folds rolled into curves, the part that is Cathedral Windows.
The background is a crinkled batik that I quilted with different colors of thread. The ribbons used for the roses came from my collection of silk ribbon that I have painted and dyed.
I hope you like it!
September 7, 2010
Just a quick Twilt for this Tuesday. “Blue Dragonflies” started out with a embroidered block that I picked up from Georgia’s Quilting Obession. The Indigo fabrics came from Cotton in the Cabin. I picked them up quite some time ago and I think they were made in Africa. I placed the block in the center and sewed strips around it log cabin style. Super Simple!
August 17, 2010
It’s hot and muggy here in So Cal and I am looking forward to Spring. I found this block in my UFO pile. These flowers won’t wilt in this heat. I thought it would make a wonderful Twilt, “A Basket of Silk Flowers”.
I used a handkerchief for the basket and lots of silk ribbon with pearl cotton for the roses, fuchsias, iris and other flowers. I hand dyed the varigated silk ribbon in the roses and iris.
August 10, 2010
Hope everyone is having a nice summer. I just got back to my twilting and made my newest Twilt, “Summer Sizzle”. It’s the middle of August and the batik fabric with the sunflower just screamed Summer. After adding the border fabrics that are, I admit, a little out of my ordinary choices, I machine quilted around the Batik design with a varigated King Tut quilting thread from Superior. I then added french knots.
May 4, 2010
Summer is getting closer and to celebrate it’s coming I found this block in my UFO box and make it into this Tuesday’s Twilt, “Sunflower”. The petals of this completely template based design are three dimensional and only the inside folds are rolled.